Monday, March 11, 2013

Yes, another cooking blog.

Awhile ago, a friend of mine recommended that I start a cooking blog because it would be a good way of combining my interests of cooking, photography and writing.    Honestly, I wasn't that into the idea.  I  love doing all three of those things, but who else would possibly care?  A lot of people are into cooking these days.  Why wouldn't they be?  We have easy access to more varieties of foods than ever before.  The possible combinations of flavors and textures seem to be unlimited (until you try to come up with something that has never been done before). And, cooking is a way to permeate all five senses.  Oil painting and instrument playing can't do all that. 

On top of all this, people have to eat.  Why not make something we have to do into something we all like to do?  Anyway, a thought crossed my mind today.  I don't just like cooking.  I like cooking with consciousness.  I like researching foods and learning, not only about the tastes and smells, but about what different foods do for our bodies.  I don't only care that my food tastes good.  I care that it makes me stronger and healthier. I also care where it comes from and the impact that its growth and farming has on the environment.  I believe that ideas and information left unshared are pointless and wasted. 

So, if you like knowing what you should eat and how to eat it with delight feel free to keep reading.  I must warn you that I am a "pescatarian" (a vegetarian that occassionally eats fish).  So, there will not be any recipes for fillet mignon in this blog.  But, I hope to share how to make eating a large variety of fruits and vegetables (and occassionally fish) just as auspicious. 

To kick things off, here is a dish I made of my own imagination today:


Grilled Ahi Tuna Tostadas

 

Ingredients:

4 Corn Tostadas

1 Large Ripe Avacado, peeled and thinly sliced

1 Large Shallot, chopped

1 Ripe Mango, peeled and thinly sliced

1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and thinly sliced

1 Large Lime

¼ c Chopped Fresh Cilantro

4 Tbsp Taco Seasoning

Alfalfa Sprouts

2 8oz Ahi Tuna Steaks (fresh or thawed from frozen and cut into 3/4in strips)

Preparation:

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the tuna strips, mango slices, red pepper slices, cilantro, taco seasoning, shallot, and juice of the lime.  Let rest for 15 minutes while flavors combine.

Line a grill pan with aluminum foil and lightly brush with olive oil.  Preheat the grill pan over medium-high heat.  Grill the tuna mixture until the tuna is cooked through, about 10 to fifteen minutes, tossing occasionally.

Pile alfalfa sprouts on each corn tostada, then top with the grilled tuna mixture and slices of avocado.  Serve immediately.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment