Monday, August 26, 2013

Eating with Intention

 There are countless reasons and excuses to the whys and hows of what we eat.  Of course, we eat because we have too.  But, modernity has afforded us the ability to eat for many more reasons than the instinctual ones.  We eat for comfort, for stress relief, and to fulfill cravings.  And, when we eat for these purposes we make poor food choices.  Personally, I am a starch lover.  When something in life has me a bit down I can't seem to get enough pasta or potatoes.  And, when I eat pasta and potatoes for comfort I eat too much of it and prepare it in the least healthy ways.  While I feel I try very hard, my eating habits are still not perfect.  Although, I do believe that within the last couple of years my habits have improved significantly.

To aid me in making better choices, I generally just don't buy the junky stuff at the grocery store.  I am lazy when it comes to shopping so this works out well for me.  If I don't already have the junk food at home, I won't put in the effort to go and get it.  Another tactic is to always ask myself why I am eating what I am eating.  I have been studying foods and nutrients and learning why it is important to eat certain foods.  So, when I am setting out to make dinner, I ask myself what my food is really doing for me.  Is there something in it that will make me stronger?  Will it improve my immune system?  Will it enhance my overall mood?  And, I try not to look for the quick fix.  Yes, those buttery mashed potatoes will make me feel better while I am eating them.  But, they won't make me feel better tomorrow. In fact, I will probably feel sluggish for a second day in a row and get stuck in a rut of simply not feeling my best. I am not the leanest or strongest person on the planet.  But, after many years of constantly getting ill, being too fatigued to function, and leading a lackluster daily life, my efforts to eat intentionally have greatly improved my quality of life. 

Big changes are difficult to follow through with.  So, if you are looking to change your eating habits, I would recommend changing a little bit at a time.  If you are one of those people that loves to drink soda all day, replace one soda a day with a glass of water.  After a couple of weeks, substitute two sodas for water.  If you are a person that loves to snack, replace one sweet or salty processed food a day for your favorite fresh fruit or vegetable.  Remind yourself why you have decided to make those substitutions.  Before long, you will have convinced yourself to eat a much healthier diet without feeling like you had to make a huge lifestyle change or give up those foods or drinks that get you through your day.

Nutrition is definitely a science, but it is not rocket science.  Here is a general cheat sheet that I like to call the food color wheel.  Each color of produce gives you something the others cannot.  It is important to include all of the colors in your diet to improve overall health.

Reds, yellows, and oranges:  Increase immunity, lower risk of cancer and heart disease

Blues and Purples:  Prevent cell damage and reduce risk of cancer, stroke, and heart disease

Whites:  Lower cholesterol and blood pressure

Greens:  Improve overall health and lower cancer risk

Keep in mind that it is important to eat produce no matter what, but for truly increased health you should try to eat at least some organic produce.  Also remember that no one makes the perfect choices all the time.  Don't kick yourself if one day you slip up and eat something you know you shouldn't.  Just make a better choice the next day and do your best to eat for health instead of eating for immediate comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment